Winter is prime time oyster season! After listening to this short podcast I think everyone should consume more oysters.
This 10 minute talk by Kate Orff is so informative on how oysters should be the way of the future. She explains how oysters are incredible animals.
Here a just a few ways that oysters are awesome:
- They filter around 50 gallons of water a day, removing contaminants and nitrogen from the water - producing clean water in return.
- They create no waste - every part of the oyster is important and used.
- They are a huge source of protein to eat - beside human consumption many other species depend on them.
- They create fish habitats with their shells, forming natural reef structures for them to live and grow around.
- They help revive our eco-system - just throw old shells back into the water to help more oysters grow.
So besides being super nutritious and yummy they are important on both an ecological and an economical level.
Click on this link to take a listen.
Find out more about TED podcasts here.