One of the things I miss most about Hawai'i is the endless options of fresh poke. I was always intimated to try and make it myself. I came across this book Flavors of Aloha cooking with Tommy Bahama and though I would give it a try. The ingredients are minimal but super flavorful. The fresh taste instantly brings me back to island living.
- 2.5 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 2.5 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1.5 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1.5 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- 1.5 teaspoons of canned chipotle
- 2 tablespoons of nonpareil capers
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
In a clean mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients, except the tuna. Toss in the tuna cubes and stir until tuna is equally covered.
- 2 avocados (reserve 1/2 for avocado cream)
- 2 roma tomatoes cubed
- 1 green onion
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of chopped shallot
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
Gently fold together all ingredients and place into a container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Avocado Wasabi Cream -
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 teaspoons of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- kosher salt to taste
Mash avocado and mix in the remainder of the ingredients until smooth. Place into a container and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy as is or with tortilla chips.